- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hot Beet Borscht Recipe
|Diced beets||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||4 Tablespoon|
|Dill weed||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||12 Cup (192 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 134 Calories from Fat 4
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.43 g0.66%
Saturated Fat 0.06 g0.32%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 663.7 mg27.7%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 6.5 g26.1%
Sugars 23.8 g
Protein 4 g7.8%
Vitamin A 3.4% Vitamin C 27.2%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 12.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash, peel and cut the beets in dices.
2. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan or a stock pot, cover the beets with the water and place on a medium flame.
3. Boil the beets for 20- -25 minutes or until they are fork tender.
4. When cooked, cool the beets
5. Transfer the beets with the liquid to a liquidizer or blender and combine with all other ingredients.
6. Blend to a smooth puree.
7. Return the puree to the saucepan and heat again.
8. Take pan off the heat and allow to rest for ½ and hour.
9. To serve the soup hot, simmer on a medium flame until hot.
10. To serve the soup cold, chill the soup in the refrigerator for 2 -3 hours.
11. Ladle the soup into individual soup bowls.
12. If serving cold, garnish the soup with sour cream or yogurt.
13. Serve with crusty bread or crackers.