- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hot and Sour Hunan Carrots Recipe
|Baby carrots||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Black beans||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Garlic||2 1⁄2 Clove (12.5 gm), minced|
|Minced ginger||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried red pepper flakes||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chinese chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Rice vinegar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (Unseasoned)|
|Cornstarch||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chinese chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Corn oil/Peanut oil||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 818 Calories from Fat 363
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.2%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g19%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 4.3 mg
Sodium 3062.9 mg127.6%
Total Carbohydrates 99 g33.2%
Dietary Fiber 24.5 g98.1%
Sugars 39.2 g
Protein 16 g32.9%
Vitamin A 1878.6% Vitamin C 40.4%
Calcium 27.5% Iron 43.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Peel the carrots and roll cut them. The carrots should measure about 4 cups.
2) In a saucer, combine together the black beans, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.
3) In a small bowl, combine together the sauce ingredients, constantly stirring to dissolve the sugar.
4) Blend together the cornstarch and broth till the mixture is smooth. Keep aside.
5) Preheat oven to temperature of 200 degrees.
6) Over high heat, heat a wok or heavy skillet till it is hot enough to evaporate a bead of water as soon as it comes in contact with the surface. Add the oil, swirling to coat the pan properly, and bring the heat down to medium-high. Add the black bean mix and gently stir till completely fragrant. This usually takes about 10 seconds.
7) Add the carrots and quickly toss to combine and glaze each nugget with the oil. Drizzle some more oil from the pan’s side, if required, to prevent sticking. Keep tossing till the carrots start to feel hot to the touch. This generally takes about 1 minute.
8) Stir the sauce and then add it to the pain. Toss to combine it with the carrots and then raise the heat so as to maintain steady simmer. Cover the pan and cook for about 4 minutes till the carrots have turned tender-crisp while still being a little undone. Taste the sauce and then adjust it, if required, with some extra vinegar splashes or a dash of sugar.
9) Recombine the cornstarch and chicken broth mixture by stirring it quickly and then add it to the pan. Stir till the mixture is slightly thick and glossy, which takes about 10 seconds. Remove the preparation to a heated serving bowl. Keep warm in preheated oven.
10) Serve hot.