- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggless Honey Chocolate Sponge Recipe
|Self raising flour||8 Ounce|
|Hot water||14 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||3 Ounce (fine quality)|
|Vanilla/Grated lemon zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 277 Calories from Fat 93
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.3%
Saturated Fat 6.5 g32.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25.7 mg8.6%
Sodium 435.9 mg18.2%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.6%
Sugars 17.6 g
Protein 5 g9.8%
Vitamin A 5.9% Vitamin C 0.02%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 11.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F (Gas 2)
2. Grease two 8-inch square or round cake tins with oil.
3. Into a large bowl, sift dry ingredients together and keep aside
4. Stir honey into the water.
5. Melt the butter and mix with the liquid.
6. Add liquid to dry ingredients and mix quickly but lightly.
7. Pour the batter into the greased tins.
8. Bake on middle level of preheated oven, until spongy to touch, about 20 to 25 minutes.
9. Let the cakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a wire rack.
To make the chocolate glaze
10. Blend cornstarch is a little cold milk.
11. In a saucepan, boil the milk and stir in the sugar and cocoa.
12. Add a few spoons of the hot milk mixture to the corn starch mixture then blend into the hot milk in the pan. Cook on medium flame, stirring, until the mixture is thick and glossy.
13. Sandwich the two cakes with the chocolate glaze and pour the remaining over the top.
14. Cut into squares or wedges and serve cake as a dessert or as a teatime treat.
15. Serve the cake warm or cold.
For a plain sponge omit the cocoa and vanilla essence and add the grated rind of a lemon to the dry ingredients and mix.
You can spoon the batter into small flan cases for small flans.
When cold, dip them in chocolate syrup and roll in coconut.