- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Homemade Sticky Rice Cakes For TteokBokkI And TteokGuk (떡볶이 떡) Recipe Video
|Rice flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sesame oil/Cooking oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (For moistening palms while rolling)|
Calories 169 Calories from Fat 10
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g1.8%
Saturated Fat 0.24 g1.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 193.8 mg8.1%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.3%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 3 g5.4%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 0.5% Iron 0.88%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a pan and fill it half with water and boil it on high heat (preparing for steaming)
2. Meanwhile combine the rice flour with salt. Slowly add water and mix it gently. The rice flour would start crumbling.
3. Soak a cheese cloth in water and spread it over the steamer. Add the rice flour on top of this cloth. Steam the rice flour on the boiling water for 20 minutes on high heat.
4. After 20 minutes the rice flour will be cooked. Knead the dough using a bread machine. Knead for about 25 minutes. By then the texture of the dough will become very sticky.
5. Take a bowl and add water and sesame oil. Touch some of this in your palms and the rolling board while working with the dough to prevent the dough from sticking to them. Make balls with small portions of the dough and roll it with your palms on a flat board until it becomes about 1/2 an inch in diameter. Then cut it into 2-inch pieces.
6. The rice cakes are ready to be used as a main ingredient for Korean main dishes.
These sticky rice cakes can be used as a main ingredient for 'tteokbokki' or 'tteokggochi'.
For 'tteokguk' roll the dough into 1 inch diameter and leave it in room temperature for a day before you cut it. After a day, cut the rolled dough diagonally into 1/4 inch pieces. If you moist your knife with water before cutting it makes it easier to cut the sticky dough.
It is important to knead the dough thoroughly for the gluten to develop fully and become sticky.
The prepared rice cakes can be stored in a freezer pack and kept in the freezer.