- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Homemade Sloppy Joes Recipe Video
|Ground beef||1 Pound (5% fat)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Celery||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Garlic clove||5 Large, minced|
|Tomato paste||8 Tablespoon (about 1/2 cup)|
|Tomato ketchup||2 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Hot pepper sauce||2 Dash|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Pinch (or to taste)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Pinch (or to taste)|
|Whole wheat buns/Muffins||4 Large, split (or sandwich bread)|
Calories 679 Calories from Fat 344
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g60.1%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g58.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80 mg
Sodium 656.2 mg27.3%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17%
Dietary Fiber 8 g31.8%
Sugars 15 g
Protein 36 g71.1%
Vitamin A 72.3% Vitamin C 22.1%
Calcium 18.3% Iron 15.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat.
2. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and once hot, add half the ground beef in large pieces to pan.
3. Sear on both sides until brown. Remove beef and set aside.
4. Repeat with remaining beef.
5. Return skillet to medium heat, add remaining teaspoon of oil and once hot, add garlic, onion, carrot and celery with a pinch of salt, scarping any brown bits from bottom of pan. Sauté until vegetables begin to brown.
6. Mix in tomato paste and let cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
7. Add water, ketchup, Worcestershire, paprika, chili powder and hot sauce.
8. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
9. Add browned ground beef to sauce, break up into smaller chunks and cook just until heated through, about 2 minutes.
10. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.
11. Divide sauce among whole wheat buns, muffins or sandwich bread and serve.