- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Homemade Pop Tarts Recipe Video
|Vegetable shortening||16 Tablespoon (for pie crust, spectrum brand)|
|All purpose flour||14 Ounce (for pie crust)|
|Sugar||2 Tablespoon (for pie crust)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (for pie crust)|
|Milk||4 1⁄4 Tablespoon, ice cold, divided (4 tablespoons for pie crust and 1/4 tablespoons for glaze)|
|Lemon juice/Vinegar||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for pie crust)|
|Water||4 Tablespoon, ice cold (for pie crust)|
|Jam||4 Tablespoon (for filling)|
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for glaze)|
|Food color||1⁄4 Teaspoon (for glaze)|
Calories 1097 Calories from Fat 543
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g94.6%
Saturated Fat 15.4 g77.2%
Trans Fat 7.9 g
Cholesterol 1.6 mg0.5%
Sodium 500 mg20.8%
Total Carbohydrates 126 g41.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.4%
Sugars 46.1 g
Protein 11 g21.6%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 2.7%
Calcium 3.7% Iron 26.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. In a bowl mix together all the ingredients for glaze, until smooth.
3. In a large mixing bowl, place together flour and shortening, and cut the shortening using 2 knives or pastry cutter, until the mixture is coarse grainy in texture.
4. Add the lemon juice to the 4 tablespoons of cold milk.
5. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, and fold using wooden spoon or beat the mixture in a stand mixture.
6. Add in little ice cold water if needed, and mix until the mixture forms into dough.
7. Divide the dough into 2 parts, roll in balls, fatten lightly, cover with parchment paper and chill for 35 to 40 minutes.
8. Dust working table with flour, and roll both the dough into 2 rectangles.
9. Place a spoonful of jam or jelly in centre, top with other layer of dough and crimp the edges with fork.
10. Bake in the oven for 19 to 22 minutes or until light brown in colour.
11. Remove the tarts from oven, and allow to cool completely.
12. Spread the glaze on the tarts and allow to set.
13. Serve as desired.