- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Homemade Mediterranean or Greek Yogurt from Scratch Recipe Video
|Whole milk||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Half and half||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Plain yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1581 Calories from Fat 950
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 107 g164.7%
Saturated Fat 64.7 g323.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 344.1 mg
Sodium 844.7 mg35.2%
Total Carbohydrates 103 g34.2%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 82.6 g
Protein 66 g131.7%
Vitamin A 66.4% Vitamin C 9.1%
Calcium 231.4% Iron 4.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large pot over medium/low heat add the 2 types of milk and stir slowly to make sure the milk does not stick to the bottom of the pan at all.
2. When small bubbles appear on the top of the milk and you see steam coming up from the milk, remove the pot from the heat.
3. Let the milk cool for about 30 minutes to 110-115 degrees or until you can stick your clean pinky finger in the pot and count maximum to the number 10. Be careful not to burn your finger.
4. As soon as the milk is at the correct temperature, slowly stir in the 1 cup of yogurt, cover the pot and then set the pot aside on a counter top and cover with a blanket overnight or for at least 8 hours.
5. The next day, place the pot in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
6. Remove and uncover the pot, pour off any excess water and store the yogurt in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
7. This rich yogurt is nice and thick and can be used to eat as a condiment a side dish or even used to cook with.