- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Homemade French and Classic Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe Video
|Vanilla bean||1 , halved lengthwise and seeds scraped|
|Egg yolks||5 Large|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Whole milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2342 Calories from Fat 1452
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 164 g253%
Saturated Fat 96.4 g482%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1452.6 mg
Sodium 794.9 mg33.1%
Total Carbohydrates 186 g62%
Dietary Fiber 2 g7.9%
Sugars 172 g
Protein 30 g60.4%
Vitamin A 134.4% Vitamin C 3.6%
Calcium 74.5% Iron 12.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons of the sugar and beat until the sugar has dissolved in the egg yolks.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat up the heavy cream, milk, vanilla bean (and seeds), vanilla extract, ¼ cup of sugar, and the salt until it begins to give off just a little bit of steam. Remove mixture from heat.
3. Temper the egg yolk mixture by whisking in 1/2 cup of the cream/milk mixture and do this until you have tempered the egg yolks with a total of 2 cups of hot cream/milk mixture.
4. Add the tempered egg mixture back to the cream/milk mixture in the saucepan.
5. Cook over medium low heat, remembering to constantly stir, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remember, do not be tempted to cook over high heat as this will curdle the egg yolks. (You will know it is thick enough when you run your finger over the back of the coated spoon and the mixture no longer runs).
6. Immediately take cream mixture off the heat and transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, or until completely chilled.
7. Add the chilled cream/milk mixture to an ice cream maker and make as instructed.
8. Remember that the ice cream will increase in volume as it freezes so do not overfill the ice cream maker.
9. For softer ice cream, serve immediately.
10 For a firmer ice cream, transfer to a container and freeze for at least an hour or overnight. Serve and enjoy!
For the Classic Vanilla Ice Cream
1. Mix all ingredients together until sugar has dissolved.
2. Chill for 30 minutes.
3. Add the chilled cream/milk mixture to an ice cream maker and make as instructed.
4. For softer ice cream, serve immediately.
5. For a firmer ice cream, transfer to a container and freeze for at least an hour or overnight.
Remember that the ice cream will increase in volume as it freezes so do not overfill the ice cream maker.
Also, this simple vanilla ice cream can be used as a base for strawberry, mango, coffee, and cookies n’ cream ice cream flavors! The flavor ideas are endless!