- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Part 2: Crispy Chicken Taquitos with Guacamole and Oven Roasted Salsa Recipe Video
|For the chicken taquitos|
|All purpose seasoning||3 Teaspoon (Grand Diamond)|
|Rotisserie chicken||1 , shredded (bones & skin removed)|
|Cheddar cheese/Pepper jack cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|For the roasted salsa|
|Vine tomatoes||2 1⁄2 Pound, halves (Ripened)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chop|
|Cilantro||3 Tablespoon, chop|
|Habanero pepper||1 Medium, chop|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the guacamole|
|Avocados||2 Large, chop (into ½ inch cubes)|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chop|
|Tomatoes||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), chop|
|Jalapeno||1⁄2 Medium, chop|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 544 Calories from Fat 313
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55%
Saturated Fat 8.6 g43.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61.5 mg
Sodium 684.1 mg28.5%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.2%
Dietary Fiber 9.3 g37.3%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 20 g39.7%
Vitamin A 17.2% Vitamin C 26.9%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 17.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedCast iron skillet
1. Preheat oven at 425 degrees.
2. Cut the vine ripened tomatoes into halves, roughly chop the onion, habanero chili and cilantro, keep everything aside separately in bowls until needed.
3. Prepare a lined sheet pan.
4. Place the tomatoes on the sheet pan and brush or frizzle olive oil over the tomatoes, sprinkle salt and pepper.
5. Place the sheet into the oven and roast the tomatoes for 35 minutes in the preheated oven.
6. The tomatoes should be charred, but still plump with its juices.
7. Remove from the oven and set aside for about 10 - 15 minutes to cool off.
8. Once cooled blend the roasted tomatoes in the food processor until pulped.
9. Add the onion, cilantro and habanero chili in a food processor and process until all the ingredients are chopped into small pieces.
10. Add the cooled roasted tomatoes, lime juice, and salt and blend until the salsa is to the desired consistency.
11. Pour the salsa into a serving dish and enjoy immediately or place it in a container with an airtight lid and refrigerate.
12. Before serving mince and smash one garlic, sprinkle some salt and mix it with half of the salsa.
FOR THE GUCAMOLE
1. Remove the seed from the avocados and slice the flesh, keep it aside.
2. Chop the onions, cilantro and tomatoes; finely chop the jalapenos and garlic.
3. In a bowl combine the onions, cilantro, avocados, and lemon juice mix them and then add the tomatoes.
4. Add the salt and pepper to your taste, add the jalapenos and stir
5. Store it in the refrigerator until needed.
FOR THE CHICKEN TAQUITOS
1. Shred the meat from the rotisserie chicken and keep it in a bowl.
2. Add the cheddar cheese to the chicken and mix them well, keep it aside.
3. Brush the tortillas with vegetable oil and fan out the tortillas on a large plate and warm the in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
4. In a heavy cast iron skillet warm the vegetable oil up to 350 degree or for 3-4 minutes.
5. Once the tortillas are warm add 2 tablespoon of the chicken and cheese mixture on the end of the tortilla closest to you and roll it as tight as possible without breaking the tortilla.
6. Use a toothpick to hold the tortilla closed or lay the rolled taquito with the seam facing down to hold it into place. Repeat this process until all of the chicken mixture is over.
7. Using tongs, place the tip of one of the taquitos in the oil. If small bubbles form, the oil is hot enough and ready for frying.
8. Fry the taquitos to golden brown and crisp on all sides. Once done remove them from the oil, place on a paper towel and lightly salt immediately.
9. Serve hot taquitos with guacamole and roasted salsa.
Don’t crowd the pan with all the taquitos, cook in batches.