- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Homemade Almond Joy Candy Recipe Video
|Sweetened condensed milk||14 Ounce|
|Confectioner’s sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sweetened flaked coconut||14 Ounce|
|Semisweet chocolate chips||24 Ounce|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Almonds||72 (or 2 per bar depending on how you cut the bars)|
Calories 2071 Calories from Fat 949
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 111 g171.4%
Saturated Fat 53.2 g266.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.7 mg11.2%
Sodium 828.4 mg34.5%
Total Carbohydrates 262 g87.2%
Dietary Fiber 9 g36.1%
Sugars 184.2 g
Protein 24 g47.8%
Vitamin A 5.3% Vitamin C 5.5%
Calcium 39.3% Iron 19.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Line a 7x11 inch pan with plastic wrap sprayed with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl stir the sweetened condensed milk, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla together until smooth.
3. Stir in the coconut until well mixed.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and press it down with the back of a spoon.
5. Spray the top with nonstick spray and cover it with a second sheet of plastic wrap. Firmly press down the top with a spatula to pack the mixture into the pan very tightly.
6. Place the pan into the freezer for 60 minutes.
7. Take out the pan from the freezer; peel off the top sheet of plastic.
8. Invert the pan onto a cutting board lined with parchment. Remove the pan and the second sheet of plastic.
9. Using a large chef’s knife cut candies.
10. Microwave 4 ounces of the chocolate chips on high for 1 minute, stirring until smooth.
11. Dip the almonds into the melted chocolate; apply 2 almonds to each bar.
12. Place the candy back into the freezer for another 60 minutes to harden up again.
13. Meanwhile melt the dipping chocolate, place the remaining chocolate chips into a large heat proof bowl and put it on top of a pot with an inch or two of simmering water.
14. Stir the chocolate as it melts then add the oil 1 tablespoon at a time continuing to stir until it is smooth and well incorporated.
15. Place one candy log onto your fork and lower it into the chocolate then spoon some chocolate over the top.
16. Allow the excess chocolate to drip off then using another fork slide the candy onto a baking sheet or cutting board lined with waxed paper.
17. Freeze for another 60 minutes.
18. Serve candies to kids and their friends.
To make a homemade candy forceps, snap off the middle two tines of a plastic fork. I like to err on the side of caution whenever I am making a candy dipped in chocolate. 24 ounces of chocolate will ensure that you do not run short. You will most likely have some leftover chocolate. I like to utilize the leftover melted chocolate by stirring in some slivers of dried fruit and nuts then pouring it out onto a piece of parchment to make a healthier bark candy. If you’d prefer you could experiment with using less chocolate instead.