- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||2 , beaten|
|Sour milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dates||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange juice||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2261 Calories from Fat 539
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g97.5%
Saturated Fat 11 g55.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 370.2 mg123.4%
Sodium 1314.1 mg54.8%
Total Carbohydrates 387 g128.9%
Dietary Fiber 18.3 g73.1%
Sugars 175.4 g
Protein 49 g97.9%
Vitamin A 10.7% Vitamin C 29.4%
Calcium 51.4% Iron 85.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Collect and measure all the ingredients as required.
2. Into a basin, sift together the measured flour and salt.
3. Heat fat in a deep fat fryer or frying pan to 325°F
4. In a large batter bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar.
5. Whisk using a wire whisk or electric beater, until well blended.
6. Stir the soda into the milk and add to the egg mixture and whisk well.
7. Stir the sifted flour to make a thick batter like dough.
8. Add the nuts, dates and orange juice and rind and stir well.
9. Use a dessert spoon to drop the dough into a bowl of flour and gently roll to form a ball. The coating of flour will prevent excess absorption of the fat when frying.
10. Drop into the hot fat, working in batches. You can also directly drop spoonfuls in the hot fat.
11. Fry until golden on one side before turning and frying the other side.
12. Remove using a slotted spoon onto paper towels to drain
13. Drop them in a bowl of powdered sugar while hot.
14. Dust again with powdered sugar before serving them warm.
15. Enjoy with coffee
Histulas should be quite small, only slightly larger than the hole in an ordinary doughnut.