- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
High Protein Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Warm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Instant nonfat dry milk powder||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Soya bean flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||3 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Slightly beaten egg||1|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 1024 Calories from Fat 143
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.4%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g32.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 79.5 mg
Sodium 1616.1 mg67.3%
Total Carbohydrates 183 g61.2%
Dietary Fiber 18 g71.9%
Sugars 25.3 g
Protein 42 g83.3%
Vitamin A 6.5% Vitamin C 1.6%
Calcium 42.6% Iron 61.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Combine remaining water and sugar with milk, butter or margarine and salt in a small saucepan; heat until butter melts. Pour into large bowl; cool to lukewarm. Stir in yeast.
3. Stir in dry milk powder, soya bean powder, wheat germ, 1 1/2 cups of the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer, 3 minutes, scraping down side of bowl several times. Stir in remaining whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, using the remaining all-purpose flour in order to keep the dough from sticking.
5. Place in a buttered large bowl; turn to bring buttered side up. Cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until double in bulk.
6. Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead a few times; invert bowl over dough; let rest about 10 minutes. Divide dough in half and knead each piece a few times; shape into 2 loaves. Place in two buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
7. Let rise again in a warm place, away from drafts, 45 minutes, or until double in bulk. Brush tops with beaten egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
8. Bake in a moderate oven (375°) 35 minutes, or until golden and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.