- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Herring With Bacon Recipe
|Milk||1 Teaspoon (Leveled) (Use A Little)|
|Medium oatmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Coating)|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Teaspoon (Leveled) (For Frying)|
Calories 340 Calories from Fat 136
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.6%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66.6 mg
Sodium 295.5 mg12.3%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.2%
Dietary Fiber 3 g11.9%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 26 g52.1%
Vitamin A 23.9% Vitamin C 27.2%
Calcium 29.5% Iron 74.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) When buying the fish, get the heads removed and the herrings cleaned.
2) Put the fish on a clean working surface, with the insides downwards, and press down the back to loosen the bone. Turn the fish over and pull away the bone.
3) In seasoned milk, dip both the sides of the boned herrings. Dip in the oatmeal next and coat thoroughly. Firmly pat the coating.
4) Into hot butter or margarine, place the fish with the flesh side down. Cook gently for about 4 minutes. Very carefully turn the fish to avoid any breaking and continue cooking the other side.
5) While the fish is cooking, trim the bacon rashers and grill them.
6) Put the herrings and cooked rashers on a dish and serve hot. Serve grilled tomatoes on the side if preferred.