- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Herbed Chicken and Peas Recipe
|Frying chicken||1 , quartered|
|Olive oil/Cooking oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried rosemary||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), cut|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Uncooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sliced pimiento stuffed olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shelled fresh peas/10 ounces, 1 box frozen peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 1069 Calories from Fat 572
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 64 g98.2%
Saturated Fat 16.1 g80.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 234.4 mg
Sodium 1666.8 mg69.5%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.6%
Sugars 3.2 g
Protein 67 g133.9%
Vitamin A 23.1% Vitamin C 40.8%
Calcium 7% Iron 19.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Rinse and dry the chicken, then season with 1 teaspoon salt and the paprika.
2) In a skillet, evenly brown the chicken in the heated oil.
3) In a saucepan mix rest of the salt, herbs, garlic, and water.
4) Allow to boil, add chicken neck and giblets, then simmer covered for about 25 minutes. Strain off the stock, reserving 2 cups.
5) Remove the chicken from the skillet and reserve 3 tablespoons of the drippings.
6) Stir in the rice and saffron into the skillet drippings until lightly brown.
7) Then stir in the bay leaf, reserved stock and olives, allow to boil and add the browned chicken.
8) Cook covered over a low heat for about 30 minutes or until the chicken and rice are tender.
9) Cook the peas, drain and stir into the rice mixture when ready to serve.
10) Serve immediately in a nice plate.