- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Herb Stuffed Veal Shoulder Recipe
|Veal shoulder||1 , boned and rolled into one piece|
|Bacon slices||2 , diced|
|Onion||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped pimiento||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Crumbled tarragon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Cooked white beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.1%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g21.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 84.4 mg
Sodium 462.1 mg19.3%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.4%
Sugars 3.3 g
Protein 21 g41.6%
Vitamin A 10.1% Vitamin C 17.4%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 5.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 325 degrees.
2) Untie the veal and spread it flat. Use ½ teaspoon of salt to sprinkle the meat all over and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper.
3) In a small skillet, cook the bacon till it is crisp. Drain on paper towel and keep aside.
4) From the pan, pour off the drippings. Return 1 tablespoon of the drippings to the skillet and add ¼ cup of the chopped onions. Cook till tender.
5) To prepare the herb stuffing, in a medium-sized bowl, combine together the tarragon, pimiento, breadcrumbs and parsley. Toss lightly to mix. Add the bacon and cooked onion and stir well.
6) Over the veal, sprinkle the stuffing and roll up the meat tightly. Re-tie it. breadcrumbs and parsley. Toss lightly to mix. Add the bacon and cooked onion and stir well.
6) Over the veal, sprinkle the stuffing and roll up the meat tightly. Re-tie it.
7) In a Dutch oven with heatproof handles, brown the veal on all sides in margarine or butter. Add the celery, remaining onion, 1 cup water and the remaining salt and pepper. Stir well and heat to boiling point. Cover the own.
8) Bake in preheated oven for about 2 hours or till the meat is soft.
9) Put the veal on a carving board and cut it in half. Place 1 half on a heated serving platter and cover it. Keep warm in an oven set at very low temperature. Store the remaining half in the fridge.
10) To make the tuna sauce, strain the veal stock from the Dutch oven and put it in a 2-cup measure. If required, add some water to make 2 cups of liquid. Keep aside 1 cup for the veal.
11) Put the remaining liquid back in the Dutch oven.
12) In a cup, mix together the flour and some water and form a smooth paste. Stir the paste into the liquid in the Dutch oven and cook, constantly stirring, till the gravy is thick and has boiled for 1 minute. Keep the sauce warm.
13) Cut the Herb-Stuffed Veal Shoulder into sliced and surround the slices with cooked white beans. Spoon some of the hot gravy over the veal and put the remaining in a heated gravy boat.
14) Serve hot with the gravy on the side.