- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Herb Roasted Turkey: How to Oven Roast a Whole Turkey Recipe Video
|For the brine|
|Kosher salt||8 Tablespoon (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)|
|Cumin powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), chopped finely|
|White onion||1 Large, chopped|
|For butter rub # 1|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Poultry seasoning||1 Tablespoon|
|Cajun seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|For final butter rub # 3|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Italian seasoning||1 Tablespoon|
|Paprika||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs) (To pour in roasting pan)|
Calories 1549 Calories from Fat 687
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 77 g118%
Saturated Fat 27.1 g135.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 570.2 mg
Sodium 814.5 mg33.9%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.7%
Sugars 14.3 g
Protein 163 g326.9%
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 7.4%
Calcium 15.6% Iron 58.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedKosher Salt - 8 Tablespoon for brine
1. Clean the turkey of all the parts that are not required like giblet, neck etc.
2. Thoroughly wash the completely thawed turkey in cold water. Set aside.
3. BRINE: In a large bowl add buttermilk, salt, sugar and cumin. Whisk until sugar & salt is dissolved.
4. Add peppercorns, onions, garlic and stir to mix them well.
5. Place turkey in brining bag (or a regular roasting bag) and place it into a roasting pan or a large bucket or pot.
6. Pour the brine mixture into the bag. Hold the top of the bag tightly so that there is no air and the brine covers the turkey entirely. Tie the bag.
7. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours (ideally 24 hours).
8. Remove from the fridge and wash the turkey thoroughly with cold water.
9. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
10. BUTTER RUB #1: In a bowl cream the butter. Add in poultry seasoning, cajun seasoning and olive oil. Mix until combined. Set aside.
11. DRY RUB #2: Into another bowl add Poultry seasoning and cajun spice. Set aside.
12. Over the sink place turkey on a rack. Place the brined and washed turkey on the rack and pat dry.
13. Use ½ of the butter mixture and spread it under the skin and inside the cavity of the turkey. Do not spread any on the top skin.
14. Boil a pot of water and using measuring cup pour it over the skin of the turkey. This will make the skin to contract and seal all the juices and the rub while cooking. Do not pour inside the cavity.
15. Rub the remaining butter rub on top of the skin. Sprinkle on the Dry Rub and continue to spread it all over the turkey.
16. Stuff the turkey’s cavity with a whole apple and orange. Try to put whole apple as much as possible.
17. Pour chicken broth into the bottom of a roasting pan and put a rack on the pan.
18. Place the turkey breast side down on the rack.
19. Put it in the oven and roast according to weight. Baste every 30-45 min.
20. Halfway through roasting, flip the turkey to expose the breast side.
21. BUTTER RUB #3: In a bowl add butter, rosemary, Italian seasoning and paprika. Mix well.
22. Remove turkey from the oven and brush Butter rub #3 generously all over.
23. Put it back into the oven and broil for 3-4 min. This will crisp up the skin. Be careful not to burn the skin.
24. Remove from the oven and let sit for at least 15 min before serving. Discard the apples and orange.
25. In a serving platter, carve the turkey and serve it with salad, mashed potato or gravy or any side of choice.