- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Herb Roasted Pork With Turnips Apples And Onions Recipe
|Pork rib roast||3 Pound|
|Canola oil/Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh sage/1 teaspoon dried oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh oregano/1 teaspoon dried oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Tart apples||4 , cored and cut into cubes|
|Red onions||2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Turnips||6 Small, quartered|
Calories 341 Calories from Fat 93
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.9%
Saturated Fat 3 g15.1%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 95.3 mg
Sodium 164.6 mg6.9%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.1%
Sugars 14.1 g
Protein 38 g76.9%
Vitamin A 3.5% Vitamin C 200.2%
Calcium 14.7% Iron 9.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. With a sharp meat knife or kitchen scissors, trim off all the excess fat from the pork.
3. Season the pork with salt and pepper.
4. In a small skillet, heat the oil.
5. Add the herbs and spices and sauté for a minute then take pan off the heat.
6. In a large roasting pan, arrange the pork in the center.
7. Rub the herb mixture over the pork and drizzle some oil.
Place in the preheated oven and roast the pork for 1 hour.
8. Toss the apples, onions and turnips with a little oil and some of the herb mixture.
9. Scatter around the pork and continue roasting for another 1 to 1 ¼ hour until meat and vegetables are tender and lightly charred.
10. Check for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into thickest portion. It should read about 170°F.
11. Remove pan from the oven and using a slotted spoon, transfer the apples and vegetables to a serving dish. Keep them warm.
12. Transfer the pork to a carving platter, cover with foil, and let stand for 10 minutes.
13. Use a carving knife or a steak knife and fork, to slice the pork along the grain and serve with the roasted apples and vegetables.