- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Helsinki Herring Salad Recipe
|Tart apples||3 Large|
|Swiss cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), diced|
|Diced swiss cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Finlandia)|
|Potatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs), boiled|
|New potatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs), boiled, peeled and diced|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mayonnaise||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dill||3 Tablespoon, minced|
|Minced dill||3 Tablespoon|
Calories 722 Calories from Fat 496
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g85.5%
Saturated Fat 14.9 g74.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 110.5 mg
Sodium 492.7 mg20.5%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.3%
Sugars 14.7 g
Protein 24 g47.4%
Vitamin A 24.4% Vitamin C 45.1%
Calcium 42.2% Iron 7.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a shallow dish, arrange herring and cover with cold water.
2. Let soak for 2 hours.
3. Drain the fish.
4. Bone and cut fish into chunks.
5. Peel apple, core and dice into cubes.
6. In a large bowl combine the apples, fish, cheese and potatoes. Mix well.
7. In a small bowl, combine ingredients for dressing.
8. Whisk with a fork until well blended.
9. Pour over the salad.
10. Toss thoroughly but carefully so that salad ingredients are evenly coated with the dressing.
11. Divide between 4 salad plates or turn into a salad bowl.
12. Serve with Thin Rye Crisp bread