- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hearty Whole Wheat Loaf Recipe
|Whole wheat flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
|Rye flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Wheat bran||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Skim milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Corn oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5283 Calories from Fat 1346
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 154 g236.3%
Saturated Fat 17 g85%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 426.4 mg
Sodium 4172.4 mg173.8%
Total Carbohydrates 877 g292.4%
Dietary Fiber 173 g692.2%
Sugars 99.7 g
Protein 180 g360.2%
Vitamin A 11.8% Vitamin C 3.1%
Calcium 155.8% Iron 416.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Transfer 3 cups of this mixture to a second large bowl and stir in the yeast and salt.
3. In a small saucepan combine the milk, oil, molasses and 1 cup of water. Heat over low heat until the mixture registers 120° on a kitchen thermometer.
4. Gradually add the liquid mixture to the flour-yeast mixture, beating constantly with an electric mixer on low speed just until blended. Increase the speed to medium and beat another 2 minutes. Reserving 1 egg white, beat in the remaining yolk and whole egg and an additional 2 cups of the flour mixture, and beat for another 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour mixture and enough of the remaining whole-wheat flour to make a soft dough.
5. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead about 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Add more whole-wheat flour if the dough is too sticky.
6. Spray a bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Shape the dough into a ball and place it in the bowl, turning the dough to coat it lightly with the spray. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
7. Punch down the dough and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Invert the bowl over the dough and let the dough rest another 15 minutes.
8. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal. Shape the dough into an oval and transfer to the baking sheet. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
9. Preheat the oven to 350°
10. Cut three 1/8-inch-deep slits across the top of the loaf. Mix the reserved egg white with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the bread with the mixture. Bake the bread on the baking sheet 50 to 60 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.