- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hearty Meatless Chili Recipe
|Onion soup mix/Onion-mushroom/beefy mushroom soup mix||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Canned chickpeas/Garbanzos||16 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can)|
|Canned red kidney beans||16 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can)|
|Canned whole peeled tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce, drained, chopped (Reserve Liquid, 1 Can)|
|Lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Celery stalk||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cumin||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic clove||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Crushed red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 302 Calories from Fat 18
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.2%
Saturated Fat 0.28 g1.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 783.9 mg32.7%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.5%
Dietary Fiber 18.9 g75.8%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 17 g34.3%
Vitamin A 24.9% Vitamin C 20.7%
Calcium 10.8% Iron 29.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, combine all the ingredients.
2. Place pot over a medium flame.
3. Boil the liquid for a few minutes.
4. Stir the mixture and reduce the flame.
5. Cover the pot and simmer 20 minutes until the lentils are almost cooked.
6. Uncover the pot and continue simmering the soup for another 30 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated and the lentils are soft and mushy. Stir the mixture occasionally while it simmers. To check the lentils, press between your thumb and forefinger. If the lentils are not mushy, continue cooking till they are soft and all the water has been absorbed.
7. Taste the chili for seasoning and adjust to your liking.
8. Dish the chili into a large tureen or ladle onto a bed of brown or white steamed rice.
9. Garnish with grated Cheddar cheese if desired.