- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hearty Irish Beef Soup Recipe
|Baby lima beans||8 Ounce, dried|
|Beef marrow bones with meat||3 Pound, cut 1 inch thick|
|Coarse salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, coarsely ground|
|Onions||2 Cup (32 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), thinly sliced|
|Leeks||2 , trimmed, rinsed well and coarsely chopped|
|Celery||2 Cup (32 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Parsnips||2 Small, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Carrots||2 Cup (32 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Plum tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Fresh thyme sprig||8|
|Cabbage||4 Cup (64 tbs), cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Green beans||8 Ounce, cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely chopped|
Calories 672 Calories from Fat 372
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.6%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g27.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 687.6 mg28.7%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.2%
Dietary Fiber 17.3 g69.3%
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 15 g30.7%
Vitamin A 143.4% Vitamin C 74.4%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 24.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl, soak lima beans overnight.
2. Clean beef bones with cold water.
3. In a large soup pot, place beef bones and add water.
4. Bring it to a boil.
5. Skim off any foam that rises to the top.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Partially cover the pot.
8. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
9. Add drained lima beans to the pot.
10. Add onion, garlic, leeks, celery, parsnips, carrots, tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaf.
11. Simmer partially covered for 2 hours.
12. Add the cabbage and green beans.
13. Uncover and simmer for another 45 minutes.
14. Spoon out the meat bones from the pot.
15. Separate the meat from the bones and discard bones.
16. Return the meat back to the pot.
17. Add parsley.
18. Simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes.
19. Serve hot in bowls.