- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hearty Ham And Bean Soup Recipe
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Sweet green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can, 796 Milliliter)|
|Tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Romano beans||19 Ounce|
|Canned romano beans||19 Ounce (1 Can, 540 Milliliter)|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon|
|Ham||2 Cup (32 tbs), diced|
|Diced cooked ham||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), freshly grated|
Calories 747 Calories from Fat 111
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.4%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68.5 mg
Sodium 930 mg38.8%
Total Carbohydrates 105 g34.9%
Dietary Fiber 37.5 g150%
Sugars 9.4 g
Protein 57 g114.7%
Vitamin A 41% Vitamin C 72.4%
Calcium 40.2% Iron 50.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In 12-cup (3 liter) casserole or bowl, microwave butter at High for 1 minute, then add onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and continue to microwave, uncovered, at High for 3 minutes such that vegetables are tender.
2. Blend in flour and stock well.
3. Drain and chop tomatoes, reserving the juice.
4. To the casserole add tomatoes and beans along with their juices, basil and salt and covering with waxed paper, microwave at High for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in ham and microwave at High, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
6. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese and serve in warm soup bowls.