- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hearty Beef Turkey And Mashed Potato Pie Recipe
|Lean ground beef||1 Pound|
|Lean ground turkey||8 Ounce|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Carrots||2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet potatoes/All purpose potatoes/rutabaga||2 Pound, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick|
|1% milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 648 Calories from Fat 158
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.6%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g27.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg
Sodium 601 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 81 g26.9%
Dietary Fiber 14.8 g59.1%
Sugars 18.6 g
Protein 43 g86.6%
Vitamin A 806.2% Vitamin C 80.7%
Calcium 24.7% Iron 45.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Heat a Dutch oven on high flame. Put in some beef and turkey. Saute for about 7 minutes or till the meat turns pink and release juice.
3. Remove from the heat and pass the meat through a sieve. Drain the meat to remove the fat for 10 minutes.
4. In a Dutch oven, heat some oil on medium heat. Add onions, garlic and saute for about 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Add in thyme, crushed tomatoes, pepper and salt. Bring it to boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 25 minutes or until the stew is rich.
6. In the meantime, take a pan and simmer the sweet potatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and mash with milk until smooth.
7. Add some chopped parsley.
8. Take a 13"" x 9"" x 2"" baking dish and transfer the meat in the mixture.
9. Use a spatula and spread the mashed sweet potatoes.
10. Place in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until it has bubble around the edges.
11. Serve in a serving dish.