- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Healthy Tuna Casserole - Italian Style Recipe Video
|Penne pasta||12 Ounce, cooked as per the instructions|
|Canned talian style tuna in olive oil||10 Ounce|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Canned artichoke hearts||14 Ounce, quartered|
|Sun-dried tomatoes||3 Ounce, cut into slivers|
|Baby spinach||1⁄2 Pound|
|Fat free evaporated milk||12 Ounce|
|Parmigiano reggiano cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), grated|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Cornstarch slurry||3 Tablespoon (2 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 2 tablespoons water)|
|Fresh breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For the bread crumb topping)|
|Cheese||2 Tablespoon, grated|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Scallions||1 Tablespoon, chopped (For Garnish)|
Calories 1000 Calories from Fat 218
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g37.9%
Saturated Fat 10 g50%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 58.2 mg
Sodium 1919 mg80%
Total Carbohydrates 144 g47.9%
Dietary Fiber 15.6 g62.5%
Sugars 26.9 g
Protein 48 g95.5%
Vitamin A 98.7% Vitamin C 75.3%
Calcium 65.3% Iron 54.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For breadcrumb mixture – In a large bowl stir together breadcrumbs, cheese, olive oil, garlic powder and thyme. Set it aside.
3. Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package instructions.
4. In a large skillet, add in the butter, onions and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
5. Add the artichokes and sauté for another minute.
6. Place the sun-dried tomatoes, evaporated milk and salt and pepper.
7. Bring it up to a boil and stir in the cornstarch slurry. Let it simmer for 3 minutes.
8. Add in the tuna to the pan.
9. Sprinkle the grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and stir to combine.
10. Add in the spinach and simmer for 1 minute.
11. Add the pasta and stir until all of the ingredients are evenly distributed.
12. Empty the contents of the skillet into greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
13. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top, bake for 15 minutes.
14. Garnish Tuna Casserole with scallions and serve hot.
If you’re following a gluten free diet be sure to use gluten free pasta. Also be sure to use gluten free bread for the breadcrumbs. I grated the end slices for darker breadcrumbs without having to over-bake the casserole. For the sun-dried tomatoes, be sure to use a ready-to-eat softer pliable variety. This casserole can also be served straight from the skillet with the breadcrumbs sprinkled on top.