- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Wilted Spinach and Radicchio Salad Recipe Video
|Bacon||3 Ounce (3 slices)|
|Fresh spinach||3 Bunch (300 gm)|
|Radicchio||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||6 Medium, slice|
|Apple||1 Medium, slice|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon, slice|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Teaspoon|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1466 Calories from Fat 1007
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 115 g176.7%
Saturated Fat 16.5 g82.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 41.5 mg
Sodium 1455 mg60.6%
Total Carbohydrates 85 g28.3%
Dietary Fiber 22.2 g88.8%
Sugars 40.4 g
Protein 39 g77.2%
Vitamin A 567.8% Vitamin C 204.3%
Calcium 69.9% Iron 65.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Cook bacon.
2. While bacon cooks: wash spinach and radicchio.
3. Remove stems from spinach and chop radicchio.
4. Chop apple, onion, cheese and walnuts.
5. Remove bacon from pan and lay on paper towel to drain.
6. Remove most of the grease from the pan, reserving about 2 T.
7. Add olive oil to pan.
8. Add onions and apples, cook 3 minutes over med-heat.
9. Add honey, radicchio, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
10. Turn heat down a bit, and let radicchio wilt down. Add a little more olive oil if needed (to make enough dressing).
11. To serve, place half spinach on a plate, top with apple and onion mixture.
12. Mix slightly, then add cheese, bacon (crumble once it’s cooled), walnuts and parmesan.
13. Drizzle with a tiny bit more olive oil if desired.
14. Serve in a dish.
Serves 2 for a main dish, could serve 4 as a side salad.
Would be good topped with/alongside chicken, beef, or pork chops.
Serve with toasted whole grain bread, for a nice lunch or light dinner.
Apple could be substituted for pears (using less-ripe pears would be best so they don’t get too mushy). Apple could also be raw, instead of cooked. Or, you could do both cooked and raw apples!
For more information, visit the blog entry Wilted Spinach and Radicchio Salad!