- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey Wings and Cornbread (Cooking with Carolyn) Recipe Video
|For the collard greens and turkey wings|
|Turkey wings with skin||8 Ounce, smoke (2 standard)|
|Low sodium chicken stock||1 Quart|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Collard greens||12 Ounce, trimmed (cleaned, rinsed, and trimmed)|
|Chili pepper vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chili pepper||4 Small (Optional)|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), mince|
|Kosher salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tomatoes||1 Medium, dice (Optional)|
|Onion||1 Medium, dice (Optional)|
|For the cornbread|
|Yellow cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (shifted)|
|Granulated sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||4 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||1 , beaten|
|Buttermilk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Creamed corn||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 421 Calories from Fat 73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.4%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61.7 mg20.6%
Sodium 1615.8 mg67.3%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g22.2%
Sugars 19.6 g
Protein 19 g38.6%
Vitamin A 80.7% Vitamin C 57.1%
Calcium 85.3% Iron 23.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedBaking dish
1. Preheat Oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a large bowl place the cornmeal and sift in the all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3. Make a well in the center and pour the egg, buttermilk, creamed corn and vegetable oil.
4. Whisk the ingredients gently using a whisk until all ingredients have been mixed well.
5. Grease the baking dish with butter and pour the batter into the baking dish.
6. Bake it for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
7. Once done butter the top of the cornbread while it’s still warm.
8. Serve the cornbread along with the collard greens and turkey wings.
FOR THE COLLARD GREENS WITH SMOKED TURKEY WINGS
1. Clean, rinse and trim the collard greens, remove the hard steam.
2. Dice the tomatoes and onion and keep it aside in a bowl.
3. In a stock pot combine the turkey wings, chicken stock and water, cover and let it simmer for 45-60 minutes.
4. Add the trimmed collard greens followed by vinegar, pepper, sugar, garlic and salt, stir and combine.
5. Cover the pot and simmer over medium to medium high heat for 1 – 1 ½ hour, occasionally keep stirring after every 20 minutes.
6. Put some tomatoes and onions mixture over the collard greens with turkey wings and serve it along with a side of cornbread.