- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Healthy Pasta With Fresh Basil Tomato Sauce Recipe
|Onions||3 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||5 Pound, coarsely chopped|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil||2 Teaspoon|
|Hot red pepper flakes||1 Pinch|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 581 Calories from Fat 25
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.5%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.7 mg
Sodium 1425.3 mg59.4%
Total Carbohydrates 112 g37.2%
Dietary Fiber 12.6 g50.5%
Sugars 25.5 g
Protein 25 g49.5%
Vitamin A 84.8% Vitamin C 117.3%
Calcium 58.3% Iron 26.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large nonstick saucepan, combine the onions, garlic and stock.
2. Place pan on a moderate flame and allow the onions to simmer in the stock for about 10 minutes.
3. Tip in the chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste and give a good stir.
4. Cover the pan and allow the mixture to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Uncover and stir in herbs.
6. Cook stirring occasionally, for another 30 minutes until reduced to sauce consistency.
7. Season the sauce with salt, pepper and hot red pepper flakes.
8. While the sauce is cooking, boil the pasta in salted water until cooked al dente or tender-crisp.
9. Drain the pasta in a colander and then using a pair of tongs divide into individual bowls.
10. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce over each serving and sprinkle with the cheese.
11. Serve the pasta while it is hot.
This recipe makes about 8 cups of sauce, so you can freeze the extra sauce in an air tight container for future use