- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Healthy Braised Beef Pot Roast Recipe
|Beef chuck roast||2 Pound|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Large, cut into eighths|
|Carrots||8 , cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Celery stalks||4 , cut into 2 inch pieces|
|Red wine/1/4 cup red wine vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Beef stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 413 Calories from Fat 170
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.1%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g19.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 133.3 mg
Sodium 297.1 mg12.4%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.7%
Sugars 9.1 g
Protein 45 g90.6%
Vitamin A 274.7% Vitamin C 22.7%
Calcium 7.6% Iron 7.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Use a meat knife or a pair of kitchen scissors to trim the fat from the beef.
2. Tie the roast with kitchen sting or butchers twine, turning it around the roast at regular intervals along the length. You will require a piece of sting about 4 times the lenght of the roast
3. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over moderately high heat.
4. Place the beef and sear in the hot oil using a dinner fork to turn it until it is evenly browned on all sides.
5. Remove the roast onto a platter and keep aside.
6. To the drippings in the pan, add the vegetables and sweat them, sautéing for about 5 to 7 minutes, until tender-crisp and golden.
7. Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables too onto a plate.
8. Deglaze the casserole with the wine or vinegar and the stock, scrapping the browned bits from the pan.
9. Return the beef to the casserole along with the bayleaf and thyme.
10. Cover the casserole and reduce the heat.
11. Allow the beef to braise for 2 to 2 ½ hours until fork tender, basting it frequently with the pan juices to prevent the meat from drying.
12. 30 minutes before the meat is cooked, return the vegetables to the casserole and cook with the meat.
13. When the meat is cooked, remove it from the casserole onto a carving board.
14. Untie the roast and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
15. Using a steak knife and fork, carve the roast into thin slices along the grain.
16. Return the meat to the vegetables and cooking liquid and reheat before serving.
17. Serve the roast and vegetables from the casserole.
18. Serve along with steamed rice or crust bread.