- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hazelnut Carousel Recipe
|Self raising flour||1⁄2 Pound|
|Soda bicarbonate||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Soft margarine||4 Ounce (tub type)|
|Soft brown sugar||6 Ounce|
|Coffee essence||1 Tablespoon|
|Roasted hazelnuts||3 Ounce, finely chopped|
|Seedless raisins||3 Ounce|
|For coffee icing|
|Butter||3 Ounce, softened|
|Sifted icing sugar||1⁄2 Pound|
|Coffee essence||2 Teaspoon|
|Hazelnuts||2 Ounce, chopped and roasted (for garnish)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5219 Calories from Fat 2310
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 265 g407%
Saturated Fat 69.2 g346.2%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 618.8 mg
Sodium 4981.9 mg207.6%
Total Carbohydrates 673 g224.3%
Dietary Fiber 22.8 g91.1%
Sugars 463.5 g
Protein 64 g128.5%
Vitamin A 56.2% Vitamin C 14.6%
Calcium 156.9% Iron 117.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Grease 2 sandwich tins of 8-inches each. Use greased greaseproof paper or non-stick parchment to line them.
2) Preheat oven to temperature of 325 degrees.
3) Sift together the soda, flour and baking powder into a bowl.
4) Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat well for 2 to 3 minutes, till well mixed.
5) Into the prepared tins, spoon the mixture.
6) Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
7) Let the cakes cool in the tins for a few minutes and then turn them out onto a wire rack. Take off the paper lining and let the cakes cool completely.
8) If you wish to freeze the cakes, flash freeze first till they are firm and then pack the cakes in a rigid container. Seal, label and store in the freezer.
9) To prepare the coffee icing, in a bowl, put all the icing ingredients. Beat well till creamy and smooth.
10) If using frozen cakes, first remove them from the freezer and thaw at room temperature for 4 hours. Make the icing as directed in Step 9.
11) With about one-third of the icing, sandwich the cakes together and spread the remaining icing all over the cake-'s top and sides.
12) Around the edge, pipe rosettes or stars and garnish with hazelnuts.
13) Put the cake on a decorative serving platter and serve slightly chilled or at room temperature. Makes a good dessert.