- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hawaiian Rice Recipe
|Canned fat free chicken broth||13 3⁄4 Ounce, divided (1 Can, Health Valley)|
|Long grain brown rice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned crushed pineapple in juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), drained|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|White pepper||1 Dash|
|Finely chopped green onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 321 Calories from Fat 20
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.6%
Saturated Fat 0.49 g2.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 328.9 mg13.7%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.4%
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 9 g17.5%
Vitamin A 39% Vitamin C 89.8%
Calcium 7.3% Iron 14.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a medium saucepan, over high heat, allow 1 1/2 cups of broth to come to a boil.
2) Stir in rice and then lower heat, covering the saucepan so that rice bubbles gently.
3) Simmer for 50 minutes until rice becomes soft and absorbs liquid.
4) In the meantime, in a small skillet, over medium high heat, heat 1-2 tablespoons broth and sauté green pepper and celery in it for 5-7 minutes until softened.
5) Mix sautéed green pepper and celery, drained pineapple, honey, vinegar and white pepper with rice and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium high heat.
6) Take off from heat and add in green onions.
7) Serve at once.