- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Harvest Pie and Salad Recipe Video
|Carrots||4 Medium, chopped finely ((1 cup grated for the salad))|
|Celery root||1 Large, chopped finely|
|Yellow onion||1 Large, chopped finely|
|Leeks||2 Large, chopped finely|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Vegetable stock||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Pecorino cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon (for the dough)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for the dough)|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (for the dough)|
|Sage leaves||6 Medium (for garnish)|
|Grated apple||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for the salad)|
|Grated beets||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for the salad)|
|Macadamia nut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (for the salad)|
Calories 700 Calories from Fat 359
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.5%
Saturated Fat 19.5 g97.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.8 mg21.6%
Sodium 1005.2 mg41.9%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.4%
Dietary Fiber 22.7 g90.9%
Sugars 13.4 g
Protein 10 g20.3%
Vitamin A 221.9% Vitamin C 52.8%
Calcium 79% Iron 77.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
2.Chop all the vegetables and the seitan.
FOR THE PIE FILLING
3. Heat olive oil in a pan, add the garlic and the seitan.
4. Add 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock and cook it till it is browned.
5. Add the vegetables and saute.
6. In another pan, drop the butter and let it melt.
7. Add the flour. Stir vigorously taking care not to burn.
8. Add the cheese and 2 cups of vegetable stock. Give it a stir and season with salt and pepper.
9. Pour it in the pan containing the vegetable mixture and take off from heat.
FOR THE DOUGH
9. Combine all the ingredients for the dough with 1/2 cup of unsoftened butter cut into small pieces and give it all a pulse in the food processor.
10.Combine milk and work into a soft dough.
11.Place it on top of individual ramekins and a pie dish containing the vegetable and seitan mixture.
12.Bake for 45 minutes until crust is golden.
FOR THE SALAD
13.Combine the grated carrot, apple and beets along with the macadamia nuts lightly toasted in a little oil.
14.Lightly fry the sage leaves in a little oil for garnish.
15. Serve the harvest pie warm with the fried sage on top as garnish.