- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hare Pot Pies Recipe
|Olive oil||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Leek||1 , sliced|
|Parsnips||8 Ounce, sliced (225 Gram)|
|Carrots||8 Ounce, sliced (225 Gram)|
|Fennel bulb||1 , sliced|
|Boneless hare||1 1⁄2 Pound, diced (675 Gram)|
|All purpose flour||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Madeira||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon)|
|Chicken stock/Game stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter Or 1 1/4 Cup)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Puff pastry||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4329 Calories from Fat 2065
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 230 g354.1%
Saturated Fat 36.4 g181.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 743.4 mg
Sodium 2592.4 mg108%
Total Carbohydrates 349 g116.4%
Dietary Fiber 37.3 g149.3%
Sugars 37 g
Protein 205 g410.6%
Vitamin A 904.5% Vitamin C 270.3%
Calcium 60.8% Iron 260%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Add the hare to the casserole in batches and stir-fry over a high heat for 10 minutes, or until browned.
3. When all the meat has browned, return it to the pan. Sprinkle in the flour, stir well, then stir in the Madeira and stock. Return the vegetables to the casserole with the chopped parsley and seasoning. Heat until simmering, then increase the temperature slightly and cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas 7. Spoon the hare mixture into four individual pie dishes. Cut the pastry into quarters and roll out on a lightly floured surface to cover the pies, making the pieces 2cm/3/4in larger than the dishes.
5. Trim off the excess pastry and use the pastry trimmings to line the rim of each pie dish.
6. Dampen the pastry rims with cold water and cover with pastry lids. Pinch the edges together to seal. Glaze with beaten egg yolk and make a steam hole in the top of each pie. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the pastry is risen and golden.