- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ham Baked in Cider Recipe
|Cooked ham||12 Pound|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Apple cider||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Sliced onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 374 Calories from Fat 110
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.9%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 6 mg0.3%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g4.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.5 g6.1%
Sugars 12.3 g
Protein 55 g109.1%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 1.5%
Calcium 0.2% Iron 1.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Wipe ham with damp paper towels.
3. Take a shallow roasting pan without rack and place the ham in it.
4. Arrange 1/2 cup onion slices on ham and sprinkle with bay leaf.
5. Insert meat thermometer in center of thickest part of ham, away from bone.
6. Pour 2 cups cider into pan and cover tightly with foil.
7. Bake ham for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until meat thermometer registers 130F.
8. Remove ham from oven and drain liquid.
9. In medium saucepan, combine remaining 2 cups cider, the brown sugar, lemon juice and onion bring to boiling and boil uncovered 5 minutes.
10. Strain and return ham to roasting pan.
11. With sharp knife, make diagonal cuts in fat (be careful not to cut into meat), 1/4 inch deep and 1 inch apart.
12. Stud the center of each diamond shape with a whole clove.
13. Pour cider mixture over ham.
14. Bake, uncovered and basting every 15 minutes, until meat thermometer registers 140F—about 40 minutes.
15. Remove ham to serving platter and let it stand for 20 minutes before carving.
16. Serve with Apple-Cider Sauce.