- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ham and Potato Chowder - Cheap Comfort Food Recipe Video
|For the roux|
|Butter||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Flour||1 Tablespoon (As required)|
|The rest of the ingredients|
|Chicken stock/White wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Water may also be used as an alternative)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely diced|
|Ham||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely diced|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely diced|
|Potatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|For the garnish|
|Bacon||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
Calories 297 Calories from Fat 123
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.3%
Saturated Fat 7.6 g38%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 58.7 mg
Sodium 257 mg10.7%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.3%
Sugars 12.2 g
Protein 17 g33.3%
Vitamin A 16.2% Vitamin C 34%
Calcium 23.7% Iron 6.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a skillet over medium heat, add butter and gradually while stirring add the flour. Stir continuously till you get a smooth paste.
2. Cook it for a little while till the raw flavor disappears and set it aside.
3. In a large heavy pot heated up with some oil, add a cup each of finely diced onions, ham, celery and diced potatoes. Saute them briefly until the onions are starting to turn translucent.
4. Deglaze the pot using chicken stock or water or white wine.
5. Once the pan is deglazed add milk, give it a stir, bring the milk to a simmer and let the potatoes cook for a while until they get tender.
6. Stir into this the prepared roux mixture, stir till the liquid is thick. Turn the heat down to medium low and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Garnish with chopped bacon and chives. Serve with a nice toasted French bread or baguette with butter.
This recipe can be used as base to prepare different kind of chowders whether you are using clams, oysters or any seafood or even chicken.