- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ham Jambalaya Recipe
|Smoked ham||1 3⁄4 Pound, cooked, cut into 3/4-inch chunks (4 cups ham chunks)|
|Green pepper||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Canned black olives||4 1⁄2 Ounce, chopped (1 can, optional)|
|Rice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), uncooked|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken broth||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Sherry||6 Tablespoon (dry)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Ground ginger||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
Calories 460 Calories from Fat 160
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g27.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 95.4 mg
Sodium 1840.4 mg76.7%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.6%
Sugars 5.5 g
Protein 27 g54.1%
Vitamin A 19.1% Vitamin C 58.8%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 15.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) In a large skillet, cover and saute the ham in butter for about 10 minutes, uncover and saute for another 5 minutes.
3) Stir in the green pepper, onion, celery, mushrooms, and black olives.
4) In a large skillet, saute the rice in oil over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until the rice just begins to brown.
5) Lower the heat, stir in the hot chicken broth, sherry, Worcestershire, thyme, and ginger, mix well.
6) Then stir in the sauteed ham and vegetable mixture.
7) In a 2 1/2 -quart casserole, turn the mixture, cover and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
8) Gently stir in the chopped parsley, then bake, uncovered, for another 10 minutes, or until rice is just tender.
9) Serve the Ham Jambalaya, in a casserole dish.