- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Halibut Portuguese Style Recipe
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon, divided|
|Diced onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Diced green bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned plum tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), drained and chopped, liquid reserved separately|
|Chopped fresh parsley||2 Teaspoon|
|White wine||2 Fluid Ounce|
|Pitted black olives||4 , sliced|
|Enriched all purpose flour||1 Teaspoon|
|Halibut steak||12 Ounce, boned (1 Piece)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 690 Calories from Fat 226
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.5%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 108.9 mg
Sodium 960.2 mg40%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.6%
Sugars 10 g
Protein 75 g150%
Vitamin A 62.6% Vitamin C 180.2%
Calcium 24.5% Iron 24.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a 1-quart saucepan.
2) Add the garlic and onion and sautÃ© till the onion is tender.
3) Add the green pepper and sautÃ© for another 3 minutes.
4) Add the tomatoes along with the wine, olives and reserved liquid. Cover the pan and gently simmer for about 10 minutes, occasionally stirring.
5) Mix together the salt, pepper and flour in a small cup.
6) On both sides of the halibut steak, sprinkle the mixture.
7) Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a 9-inch skillet.
8) Add the fish and sautÃ© till one side is golden brown in color. This takes about 3 to 4 minutes of cooking. Turn the fish over and brown the other side as well.
9) All over the fish, spoon the vegetable mixture and gently simmer till the fish flakes easily when touched with a fork and the vegetables have heated thoroughly. This takes about 3 minutes.
10) Serve hot after sprinkling with parsley.