- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hair Pin Prawns Recipe
|Prawns||8 Medium (About 2 1/2-3Inch In Length)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Baking Soda)|
|Chinese mustard green stalks/Spring onions||1 1⁄2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Carrot||1 1⁄2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Bamboo shoot||1 1⁄2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Yunnan ham||1 1⁄2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|White pepper powder||1 Dash|
|Chicken stock||4 Tablespoon|
|Chinese rice wine||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cornflour||1 Teaspoon, blended with water|
Calories 207 Calories from Fat 113
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.7%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 171.8 mg
Sodium 805.4 mg33.6%
Total Carbohydrates 4 g1.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.91 g3.7%
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 19 g37.2%
Vitamin A 57.9% Vitamin C 14.2%
Calcium 1.9% Iron 2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Peel the prawns, discarding heads, tails and shells.
2) Cut down the back of each prawn and remove intestinal tract.
3) Flatten prawns open and marinate with bicarbonate soda, salt and sesame oil for 20 minutes.
4) Cut the mustard green stalks, carrots, bamboo shoots and ham into slivers about twice the thickness of a matchstick, 6 cm (2 1/2 in) in length.
5) With a tip of a sharp knife to slash a hole about 1 cm (1/2 in) from the head end of the prawn, and another hole 1 cm (1/2 in) from the tail end.
6) Fold the prawn into a semicircle so you can push the vegetables out through the second slit, pressing the prawn together firmly to hold the filling.
7) In a wok, boil some water; blanch the vegetable-filled prawns for 10 seconds.
8) Remove and drain.
9) Pour out the water, dry the wok and heat oil for deep frying.
10) Deep fry prawns over very high heat for 30 seconds, then drain out.
11) Tip out all but 1 tablespoon of oil and add all sauce ingredients, except for corn flour.
12) Bring to the boil, lower heat and thicken with corn flour.
13) Pour over the prawns, sprinkle with pepper and serve immediately.