- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Haandi Chicken with Whole Fried Onions Recipe
|Corn oil||5 Tablespoon|
|Baby onions||10 , peeled and left whole|
|Fresh green chilies||3 (whole)|
|Onions||2 , diced|
|Ginger pulp||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic pulp||1 Teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Pint (750 milliliter)|
|Chicken||2 Pound, skinned and cut into 8 pieces (1 small size, 1 kilogram)|
|Chopped fresh coriander||1 Teaspoon (for garnish)|
|Chopped fresh mint||1 Teaspoon (for garnish)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2551 Calories from Fat 1592
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 178 g274.1%
Saturated Fat 35.1 g175.6%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 607.8 mg
Sodium 2649.9 mg110.4%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 14.5 g58%
Sugars 16.3 g
Protein 191 g383%
Vitamin A 176.6% Vitamin C 260.9%
Calcium 31.4% Iron 70.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Add the diced onions to the haandi and fry for 3-5 minutes until soft and golden brown.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the ginger, garlic, chilli powder, ground coriander, 600 ml (1 pint) of the water and the salt. Cover the haandi with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes until the onions are soft and the water is partly absorbed. Remove the lid, add the chicken pieces and stir-fry to coat all the chicken pieces.
4. Add the remaining water, cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked right through.
5. Remove the lid and stir-fry gently for about 5 minutes.
6. Serve hot from the haandi, garnished with fresh coriander and mint, the reserved baby onions, chillies and the curry leaves. Rice or Chapati go well with this dish.