- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gumdrop Fruit Cake Recipe
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Small, beaten|
|Flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Applesauce||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sieved|
|Hot water||1 Tablespoon|
|White raisins||1 Pound|
|Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Gum drops||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 684 Calories from Fat 210
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.4%
Saturated Fat 10.6 g53.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 67.1 mg
Sodium 179.2 mg7.5%
Total Carbohydrates 114 g38%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.7%
Sugars 69.3 g
Protein 7 g15%
Vitamin A 10.2% Vitamin C 2.6%
Calcium 4.6% Iron 17.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a basin, sift together the flour, spices and salt. Keep aside
2. In to another basin, cut the gumdrops using a kitchen scissors. Combine with raisins and pecans (sauté them in a little butter). Dust mixture with a 2 spoons of the flour mixture. Keep aside.
3. Grease cake tins with butter, and line with greased parchment or heavy paper.
4. Preheat the oven to 300° - 3025°F
5. Dissolve the soda in water and keep aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl of an electric beater, combine the softened butter and sugar.
7. Using an electric beater, whip the ingredients until the mixture is light and fluffy like whipped cream.
8. Add the beaten eggs to the creamed mixture, one at a time and beat well after each addition until well blended. If the mixture curdles, add a spoon of flour and then continue beating
9. To this mixture, fold in the sifted dry ingredients, using a spatula, a cup at a time, adding alternately the apple sauce. Fold into the batter in one direction to prevent your cake from becoming dense.
10. Gently stir in the soda water, making sure that you do not overwork the batter.
11. Lastly fold in the gumdrop, raisin and nut mixture, cutting them into the batter and avoiding stirring.
12. Immediately pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
13. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for almost 2 hours until the cakes leave the sides of the tins and are spongy to touch. Insert a skewer and see if it comes out clean.
14. Remove the cakes from the oven wearing oven mitts and allow them to rest in the tins for 5 minutes then invert them on a wire rack to cool completely. Peel off butter paper.
15. Slice and serve the cake sprinkled with some powdered sugar with tea or wrap and include in your Christmas Holiday hamper to your friends and family.
Do not use black gumdrops
Avoid baking the cake too fast as it will brown too quickly and may burn.
If oven glass or casseroles are used, do not line with paper, but bake at a lower temperature of 275 to 300 degrees.