- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gulab Jamun - Indian Recipe Video
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|For the dough|
|Milk powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Non-fat dry milk powder used)|
|All purpose flour||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Melted ghee||1 Tablespoon (If using regular butter, use 1 1/2 tablespoon)|
|Warm milk||2 Tablespoon (as needed)|
|For the sugar syrup|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Use as needed)|
|Lemon juice/Lime juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Rose syrup||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Saffron||1 Pinch (few strands used)|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For the garnish|
|Dry coconut flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Slivered almonds||1 Tablespoon|
|Slivered pistachios||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 152 Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g12.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.6 mg
Sodium 44.3 mg1.8%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.58 g2.3%
Sugars 21.6 g
Protein 1 g2.7%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C 1.6%
Calcium 3% Iron 1.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
For the dough:
1. In a bowl take milk powder, all purpose flour, semolina and a pinch of baking soda. Mix all these dry ingredients well.
2. Add ghee and mix well.
3. Add warm milk slowly and mix the dough. (Add a tablespoon of milk at a time). Do not knead it to form a stretchy dough, instead the consistency should be like a dough made from milk mawa.
For the sugar syrup
4. In a pot, take 1 cup of sugar and 3/4 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Once it starts boiling bring down the temperature of the stove and simmer it for abut 5 to 6 minutes.
5. Add a couple of drops of lemon juice (to prevent crystallization), rose syrup, saffron and cardamom powder. Stir well and set aside.
6. Take small portions from the prepared dough and roll into small balls, ready to be fried. Cover the balls and set them aside.
7. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying; once the oil is warm enough, drop in the balls gently and fry them in batches on a low-medium heat to slowly brown them. Fry until golden color.
8. Once done, drain them off the oil and drop them into the prepared sugar syrup.
9. The gulab jamuns may be served as it is chilled and garnished with slivered almonds and pistachios, or coated with dry coconut flakes.
For gluten-free gulab jamuns use corn starch instead of all purpose flour and semolina.