- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gua Bao - Taiwanese Pork Belly Sliders Recipe Video
|Oil||2 Tablespoon (For frying)|
|Pork belly||500 Gram (Skin on)|
|Dark soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Medium|
|Star anise||1 Medium|
|Chinese five spice powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic bulbs||1 1⁄2 Medium (Cloves from the garlic bulbs used)|
|Buns||4 Medium (Freshly steamed Bao (Chinese buns) used)|
|For the topping|
|Hoisin sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Jaggery/Taiwanese red sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh cilantro||1 Bunch (100 gm), chopped|
|Roasted peanuts||1 Tablespoon, crushed|
Calories 543 Calories from Fat 244
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80.1 mg
Sodium 1065.1 mg44.4%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.3%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 31 g62.4%
Vitamin A 34.1% Vitamin C 13.7%
Calcium 16.4% Iron 17.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a heavy pot or dutch oven heat some oil on medium high heat. Add the pork belly and brown on all the sides.
2. Once the pork is browned season with soy sauce on both sides of the pork.
3. Immediately after the pork is browned add a liter of water. Also add the aromatic spices along with the cloves form 1 1/2 bulbs of garlic.
4. Bring the mix to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer and cover it for 1 1/2 hours or until the pork turns tender.
5. Cut Chinese buns into rounds and steam them. Put the pork belly pieces on them, topped with hoisin sauce followed by Taiwanese red sugar or jaggery. Sprinkle with some roasted crushed peanuts and some freshly chopped cilantro.
6. Serve fresh and warm.