- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ground Almond Flaky Pastry Recipe
|Plain flour||10 Ounce (275 Gram)|
|Ground almonds||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Ground rice||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Butter||12 Ounce (350 Gram)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Iced water||6 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3851 Calories from Fat 2584
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 294 g452.2%
Saturated Fat 175.9 g879.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 731.5 mg
Sodium 298.9 mg12.5%
Total Carbohydrates 276 g91.9%
Dietary Fiber 9.4 g37.7%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 30 g60.4%
Vitamin A 170.1% Vitamin C 11.5%
Calcium 13% Iron 8.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour together with ground almond meal, rice flour and salt.
2. Cut the ¼ of the butter into small cubes and add to the flour.
3. Using your fingertips, rub the flour and fat until all the fat has been mixed with the flour. The mixture will have a sandy texture resembling breadcrumbs.
4. Add lemon juice and cold water to the mixture.
5. Using a pallet knife or a spatula, stir the mixture and bring together, to resemble a cookie dough.
6. Transfer the dough to a clean work surface and knead very lightly to bind the mixture and make a soft pliable dough.
7. If the dough is very dry and crumbly, add more water.
8. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour.
9. Cover the dough and rest for ½ an hour.
10. In the meanwhile, in a mixing bowl cream the remaining butter with a pallet knife until soft. Divide into 3 equal portions.
11. On a flour work surface, use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll the dough out into a large rectangle, with a thickness of ¼ inch. Using the tip of a pallet knife, divide the rectangle into 3 equal parts, without cutting the dough
12. Spread 1 portion of the butter on to the dough. Fold bottom third up and top third down. Seal at the open edges.
13. Turn the pastry, keeping the sealed edges at the top and bottom and at the right hand side.
14. Cover the pastry with clean wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
15. Remove from refrigerator and repeat rolling and folding with the remaining two portions of butter, resting the pastry for 10 minutes between each rolling.
16. Cover the pastry dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until required.
17. Roll the dough on a floured work surface and use as required.
18. Give the pastry an egg wash with a brush before you bake it. This will ensure a nice golden color.