- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Grilled Cypriot Cheese With Tomato and Red Onion Salad Recipe
|Haloumi cheese||1 Pound|
|Orange||1⁄2 , grated for the zest and squeezed for the juice|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||2 Tablespoon|
|White wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Chives||1⁄2 Tablespoon, snipped|
|Marjoram||1⁄2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Plum tomatoes||8 Ounce, sliced thickly|
|Red onion||1 Small, sliced thinly and separated into rings|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Pinch|
|Cilantro||2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Basil leaves||1 Tablespoon (To Garnish)|
Calories 653 Calories from Fat 507
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 57 g87.5%
Saturated Fat 4 g19.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 208.1 mg8.7%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.4%
Sugars 2.8 g
Protein 25 g49.8%
Vitamin A 20.2% Vitamin C 31.8%
Calcium 6.1% Iron 13%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Thickly slice the Haloumi cheese.
2. Slice the vegetables as required.
3. Arrange the Haloumi slices in a large shallow non metallic dish.
4. Prepare the marinade in a small bowl, by combining all the ingredients and whisking with a fork until well blended.
5. Coat the cheese slices on both sides by drizzling the marinade over them.
6. Cover the dish and place in the refrigerator and allow the cheese to marinate for 30 minutes or more.
7. On a serving platter or on individual salad plates, arrange the tomato slices in a ring.
8. Scatter onion rings on top.
9. Prepare the dressing by combining the ingredients in a small bowl or in a screw top jar and whisking or shaking until well amalgamated.
10. Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes and onions.
11. Cover the plates with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
12. Drain Haloumi cheese slices reserving the marinade.
13. Arrange the cheese over a hot barbecue and grill them for 1 minute per side.
14. Arrange the grilled cheese slices over the tomato and onion rings.
15. Garnish the salad with the basil leaves and serve immediately.