'Thoran' is a very traditionally prepared dish in Kerala Cuisine, most often prepared with vegetables like cabbage, carrot, beans or even beetroot. But green tomato is a very rarely used vegetable for a thoran, probably because of not being readily available.
Presently I live in the Nilgiris - "Blue Mountains" that are a part of the Western Ghats in India. One thing that fascinated me in this hilly side of South India is that different varieties of vegetables are readily available.
One day I came across green tomatoes that I have never come across when I was living in Vizag (thats where I lived before coming here). Though I had no idea what dish to prepare with green tomatoes, I just could not walk away without buying them.
Finally when home, I decided to try our traditional Kerala Style vegetable thoran with it. And the spice of green chilies in the thoran along with the tinge of sourness that comes from the green tomato makes the dish absolutely delicious. Try this recipe and you definitely will love it!
1⁄2 Kilogram, deseeded, cut into medium dices
For the coconut mixture
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
4 Small (Adjust as per your taste)
For the seasoning
Coconut oil/Vegetable oil
1 1⁄2 Tablespoon
Dry red chilies
Calories 248 Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g25.3%
Saturated Fat 13.9 g69.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 123.2 mg5.1%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 7.1 g28.6%
Sugars 15.7 g
Protein 4 g8.9%
Vitamin A 25.4%
Vitamin C 84.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need
Mini food processor / blender
To prepare the coconut mixture:
1. In a mini food processor, add in all the ingredients for the coconut mixture, pulse it to get a coarse mixture. Set this aside.
2. Heat a pan with oil. When oil is hot enough add the mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle and then add the dry red chilies and curry leaves. Saute for about 15 seconds to season the oil.
3. Add in the tomatoes and the prepared coconut mixture. Stir to Mix everything well.
4. Season with some salt and stir. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until done.
5. Serve warm with steamed rice and enjoy!