- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Green Pea Pilaf Recipe
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onions||3 Medium, peeled, chopped|
|Onions||3 Medium, peeled and chopped|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 , broken up|
|Fresh ginger root piece||1 Inch, chopped|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Long grain rice||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Peas||1 Pound, shelled, defrosted, if frozen|
|Peas||1 Pound, shelled , defrosted if frozen|
Calories 895 Calories from Fat 407
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g71%
Saturated Fat 10.2 g51.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.5 mg
Sodium 20.1 mg0.8%
Total Carbohydrates 108 g35.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.5%
Sugars 8.8 g
Protein 13 g25.5%
Vitamin A 21.8% Vitamin C 64.3%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 16.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large saucepan, heat oil over moderate-low heat.
2) After the oil gets heated, add 2 of the chopped onions, cinnamon sticks, ginger, chili powder, turmeric, and cumin seeds and cook for about 10 minutes.
3) Gradually, add 5 cups water and allow it to boil.
4) Now add the rice, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, until the rice is soft and fluffy.
5) Add the peas, mix well, and further cook for 10 minutes longer.
6) Alternately, in a pan, stir butter until melted over moderate heat, add the remaining chopped onion, and cook, mixing many a times, till the onion browns and becomes crisp.
7) Evenly spread the hot onion and butter over the top of the pilaf before serving.