- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Southern Green Beans Recipe - String Beans Recipe Video
|Fresh green beans||1 Pound, cut into pieces|
|White onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely diced|
|Garlic clove||1 Medium, chopped|
|Smoked sausage/Smoked bacon||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped (1/2 - 1 cup as needed)|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1 - 2 cups)|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Black pepper||2 Dash (Optional)|
|Seasoning salt||2 Dash (Optional)|
Calories 150 Calories from Fat 76
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.1%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 31.8 mg
Sodium 571.3 mg23.8%
Total Carbohydrates 12 g4.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.1%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 8 g15.1%
Vitamin A 2.9% Vitamin C 4.4%
Calcium 0.8% Iron 0.57%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash the green beans. Snap off the ends of the greens beans and cut the green beans into pieces. Set aside.
2. Finely dice onion, garlic, and smoked sausage. Set aside.
3. In a saucepan or pot, melt butter, Add in onion, garlic, smoked sausage and stir.
4. Add the chicken broth, bring it to a boil.
5. Add red pepper flakes, if desired.
6. Add the cut fresh green beans, give it a stir, cover and simmer for 60 to 90 minutes or until tender. Be careful not to overcook. If you need more gravy, add in more of the broth as it cooks.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve warm along with some fried chicken, candied yams and cornbread.