- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Appetizer) Recipe Video
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Eggs||3 , lightly beaten|
|Frozen spinach||10 Ounce, thawed and squeezed dry|
|Feta cheese||8 Ounce, crumbled|
|Farmer cheese/Curd cottage cheese||8 Ounce|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly grounded|
|Nutmeg||1 Teaspoon, freshly grated|
|Fresh bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Phyllo pastry sheets||200 Gram, Defrosted|
|Butter||4 Ounce, melted|
Calories 745 Calories from Fat 462
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g79.6%
Saturated Fat 31.3 g156.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 304.8 mg
Sodium 1048.3 mg43.7%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g17.8%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 28 g56.8%
Vitamin A 196.4% Vitamin C 13%
Calcium 44.7% Iron 24.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven at 350° F.
2. In a medium – large saucepan add in the butter and add in the onion. Sauté until it starts turning brown for 4 minutes.
3. Add in the spinach and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until most of moisture has evaporated.
4. Turn off the heat and let it cool for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the feta cheese, farmer cheese and eggs. Mix well with the spatula.
6. Season with nutmeg and pepper, mix again.
7. Add in the bread crumbs to the mixture and mix again. Set aside.
8. Cut phyllo sheets into four equal pieces. Use one section at a time and keeping the others well wrapped, brush one strip at a time with melted butter, cover with a second strip and brush that with melted butter.
9. Put one teaspoon of the spinach mixture at one end of the strip and fold over and over into a small triangle. Place in a wax lined tray and brush with butter, repeat the process.
10. Bake in oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
11. Serve Spanakopita with your favorite sauce.
You can refrigerate Spanakopita and when ready to bake, arrange triangles on parchment-lined cookie sheet, brush tops with melted butter and bake in the preheated oven until golden.