- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Greek Rice Recipe
|Long grain brown rice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped green onion||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Fat free chicken broth||13 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Chopped parsley/1 tablespoon dried parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped dill/1 tablespoon dried dill||2 Tablespoon|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce, thawed (1 Package)|
|Lemon juice||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
Calories 235 Calories from Fat 16
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3%
Saturated Fat 0.36 g1.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 418 mg17.4%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.2%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.2%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 8 g16.6%
Vitamin A 226.5% Vitamin C 110.1%
Calcium 16.1% Iron 28%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Wash rice to keep it moist.
2) Press spinach gently to remove as much liquid as possible from it.
3) In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, cook a mixture of rice, green onions and garlic until rice dries and release an aroma.
4) Pour in chicken broth and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
5) Stir in parsley and dill.
6) Adjust heat and allow simmering, covering the pan.
7) Simmer for about 50 minutes until rice becomes soft.
8) Add in spinach and again cook for 5 minutes until cooked well.
9) Pour in lemon juice and honey.
10) Pass over lemon wedges for additional seasoning at the table and serve hot.