- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Greek Picnic Pie Recipe
|Olive oil||60 Milliliter (3-4 Tablespoon)|
|Aubergine||1 Large, sliced into rounds (Eggplant)|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Fresh spinach||6 Ounce, washed (175 Gram)|
|Crumbled feta cheese||3 Ounce (75 Gram, 1/2 Cup)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram, 1/2 Cup)|
|Plain yogurt||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon, Natural)|
|Creamy milk||90 Milliliter (6 Tablespoon)|
|Cooked white long grain rice||8 Ounce (225 Gram, 2 Cups, Or Brown)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|All purpose flour||8 Ounce (Plain, 225 Gram, 2 Cups)|
|Dried basil||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Butter||4 Ounce, diced (115 Gram, 1/2 Cup)|
|Chilled water||60 Milliliter (3-4 Tablespoon)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3432 Calories from Fat 1880
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 213 g328%
Saturated Fat 96.9 g484.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1219.7 mg
Sodium 2767.9 mg115.3%
Total Carbohydrates 290 g96.7%
Dietary Fiber 34.2 g137%
Sugars 31 g
Protein 101 g202%
Vitamin A 421.1% Vitamin C 121.9%
Calcium 159.4% Iron 133.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Roll out the pastry thinly and use to line a 25cm/10in flan ring or flan tin (quiche pan). Cover with clear film and chill for 30 minutes more. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
3. Prick the base of the chilled pastry case all over with a fork and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the pastry is just turning golden. (If you prefer, bake blind the pastry - line the pastry with baking parchment and weight it with baking beans. Remove the paper and beans for the last few minutes of baking.)
4. To make the filling, heat 45ml/3 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the aubergine slices for 6-8 minutes on each side until golden. You may need to add a little more oil at first, but this will be released as the flesh softens. Lift out the aubergine slices and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Add the onion and garlic to the oil remaining in the pan and fry over a gentle heat for 4-5 minutes until soft, adding a little extra oil if necessary.
6. Chop the spinach finely, by hand or in a food processor. Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
7. Add the spinach, feta, Parmesan, yogurt, milk and the onion mixture to the eggs. Season well and stir thoroughly.
8. Spread the cooked rice in an even layer over the base of the pastry case. Reserve about 8 aubergine slices, and arrange the rest in an even layer over the rice.
9. Spoon the spinach and feta mixture over the aubergines and place the reserved slices of aubergine on top. Bake the pie for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned. Serve warm or cold.