- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gratin of Eggplant Caviar Recipe
|Eggplants||4 Pound (3 Medium Sized, Unpeeled)|
|Garlic clove||2 Large, cut in slivers|
|Light olive oil||15 1⁄2 Teaspoon (1/3 Cup Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Gruyere cheese||1 1⁄2 Ounce, freshly grated (1/3 Cup)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon, freshly grated|
Calories 393 Calories from Fat 253
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.1%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g35.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 155.6 mg
Sodium 413.4 mg17.2%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.2%
Dietary Fiber 15.6 g62.4%
Sugars 10.9 g
Protein 12 g24.8%
Vitamin A 10.3% Vitamin C 19.4%
Calcium 25.8% Iron 9.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 400°.
2) Cut several slits in each eggplant.
3) Coat the garlic slivers with thyme. Put these coated garlic slivers inside the eggplant cuts.
4) In a jelly-roll pan, place the eggplants.
5) Place inside oven to bake in the middle of the oven, turning 2 or 3 times, until the eggplants are soft to the touch, 30 to 60 minutes, depending on their thickness.
6) Peel off the skin from baked eggplants and discard the stems.
7) In a food processor, process the eggplants to puree for 1 minute or pass through the fine disk of a food mill.
8) Remove the seeds by passing the puree through a fine-mesh sieve. For a food mill with a very fine blade, this step may not be required.
9) In a large mixing bowl, place the puree.
10) Add egg yolks to beat at medium speed.
11) Gradually drizzle in 1/3 cup of the olive oil.
12) Stir in the Gruyere, salt and cayenne.
13) In a lightly buttered 1 1/2-quart baking dish, pour in the eggplant mixture.
14) Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon oil over the surface to prevent it from drying out.
15) Place inside oven to bake for 20 minutes.
16) Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil over the top. Continue to bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
17) Serve the eggplant preparation on a platter and garnish with fresh coriander leaves, if desired.
This preparation can be made ahead of time and reheated in a 350° oven for 10 to 15 minutes, before serving.